Hillside Drug Possession Lawyer
Charged With Possessing CDS in Hillside New Jersey
A main category of criminal offense in the Township of Hillside is drug possession. The varieties of drugs that can result in someone being charged with this type of charge in Hillside is almost limitless although some controlled dangerous substances (“CDS”) are encountered more frequently than others. Chances are that you were arrested for cocaine, heroin, MDMA, LSD or possession of marijuana in Hillside. Hiring a lawyer who is adept in defending drug/cds cases is precisely what you need if it is your desire to achieve the best result in your possession case.
The attorneys at our firm, the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, have over a century of combined experience defending drug possession charges of all kinds at the Union County Superior Court in Elizabeth, including those arising in Hillside. Several lawyers on our staff also happen to be former prosecutors and this allows that to a unique perspective on what it takes to successfully defend allegations that a client possessed drugs in Hillside or another municipality. We know how to effectively attack a improper motor vehicle stop or search, and you can trust that our defense attorney is committed to doing what it will take to secure the most favorable outcome of your case. To speak to a lawyer at our firm anytime 24/7, contact us at 908-272-1700.
CDS Possession Charge in Hillside
Almost all CDS possession charges in Hillside are filed under N.J.S.A. 2C:35-10 including those involving heroin, MDMA, methamphetamine, LSD, cocaine and even marijuana. An offense resulting from possession of a prescription legend drug like Xanax, Oxycodone, Hydrocodone or another medication arise our of N.J.S.A. 2C:35-10.5. Both of these laws make it illegal to knowingly possess a CDS for personal use without a valid prescription. The penalties that you face for personal possession in Hillside hinge on the type and quantity of drugs involved. The headings below outline some of the important information if you allegedly possessed CDS in Hillside
- Possession of Marijuana. Marijuana possession is probably the most frequently arising form of drug offense in Hillside. A detailed discussion of the law and other aspects of this charge can be found by clicking here.
- Cocaine Possession. The CDS charge that is on the rise more than any other is possession of cocaine. Possessing cocaine in any quantity is a third degree crime. You can learn more about this subject by referring to our Hillside Cocaine Possession Page.
- Heroin Possession. It is also a third degree crime to possess heroin in Hillside. The penalties upon conviction include a fine of up to $35,000, up to 5 years in prison, probation, drug testing and counseling and a driver’s license suspension of 6-24 months.
- MDMA. MDMA is another drug that goes in popularity and is also referred to as Molly and Ecstasy. Possession of MDMA is also a third degree crime that carries exactly the same penalties as possession of heroin.
- LSD. Possession of LSD is a third degree crime as well under 2C:35-10. You can be sent to prison for up to 5 years and fine up to $35,000 at the time of sentencing.
- Prescription Legend Drugs. It is a fourth degree crime to illegally possess 5 or more dosage units of a prescription legend drug in Hillside. The penalties at the time of sentencing for this offense include up to 18 months in prison, fine of up to $10,000, probation and a suspension of your privilege to drive for 6-24 months. Possessing four or fewer dosage units of a prescription drugs is a disorderly persons offense which, unlike a fourth degree crime or third degree crime, falls under the jurisdiction of the Hillside Municipal Court. A conviction for this grade of prescription drug offense subjects you to a fine of up to $1,000 and up to 6 months in jail.
Hillside CDS Possession Defense Attorney
Whether you have been charged with distribution of CDS in Hillside or personal possession, the penalties that apply under New Jersey law can be severe. This should be more than reason for you to pick up the telephone and contact the attorneys at our office. You will need a skilled defense lawyer if you are going to avoid a criminal record and penalties that include the possibility of imprisonment. An attorney at the Marshall Law Firm is armed to serve you formidably in this capacity. For a free consultation with one of our lawyer to learn how we can go about helping you, call 908-272-1700.