Springfield NJ DWI Attorneys
The attorneys at our firm represent motorists charged with DWI, refusal to provide breath sample, and driving under the influence of drugs in the municipality of Springfield New Jersey. If you are one of the over one-hundred (100) drivers arrested for DWI related offense in Springfield Township each year, do not make the mistake of believing that nothing can be done to avoid a conviction. Our attorneys, several of whom are former DWI prosecutors, are successful in obtaining dismissals in many more cases than you might anticipate. The defense team at The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall has exceptional training with four of the approximately fifty in the state who are certified on the Drager Alcotest 7110 breathalyzer used in NJ and three of the less than ten lawyers statewide who are instructors in Standardized Field Sobriety Testing. The head of our DWI department, Colin Bonus, handles nothing but DWI and DUI cases. To speak to an attorney immediately in a free consultation, call our Union NJ Office. We can be reached 24/7 at 908-272-1700.
Springfield NJ Municipal Court DWI Charges
Springfield is historically in the top third of municipalities in Union County when it comes to first, second, third or subsequent DWI/DUI summons. The higher number of drunk driving arrests stems from many factors but certainly the number of roadways is a contributing one with Interstate 78, U.S. Route 22, Route 24, and Route 124, running through the Township. Hiring a skilled DWI attorney is a must if you have been arrested for this offense as plea bargaining is prohibited in resolving your case in Springfield Municipal Court. Your lawyer will to present a legitimate legal argument that raises reasonable doubt concerning your charge or you will subject to penalties that include:
- First Offense. If the accused has no prior convictions, the penalties that apply hinge on the blood alcohol content (“BAC”) placed into evidence at the conclusion of the case. If The reading is at least .08% (i.e. above the legal limit) but less than .10%, there is a mandatory driver’s license suspension of three (3) months, fine of $250-$400, 12-48 hours in the Intoxicated Driver’s Resource Center, up to 30 days in the county jail and certain mandatory assessments that apply. For BAC readings at or above .10%, the suspension escalates to seven (7) to twelve (12) months, along with the potential fine to $300-$500. There is also a mandatory DWI surcharge imposed by the NJDMV in the amount of $1,000 per year for a period of three (3) years.
- Second Offense. For a second conviction, the driver’s license suspension is two (2) years, the fine is $500-$1,000 and the jail of 2-90 days applies. There is also mandatory installation of an ignition interlock (i.e. portable breathalyzer that controls the operation of vehicles registered to you), along with the same three (3) year surcharge.
- Third Offense (or Subsequent). The two biggest ramifications of a third or subsequent conviction are a ten (10) year driver’s license suspension and as 180 day jail term. The interlock requirement also applies, as well as a three (3) year surcharge of $1,500 per year payable to NJDMV.
- Refusal to Submit a Breath Sample. The penalties are largely the same for a first, second or third offense of refusal as they are for driving while intoxicated with a few differences. There is no tiers for a first offense and the suspension is a mandatory minimum of seven (7) months. Another important difference is the fact that there is no jail term that applies to refusal offenses.
- Ten (10) Year Step-Down. The NJ DWI Law generally provides that a prior conviction cannot be counted against you if that offense and the immediately subsequent violation are at least ten (10) years apart.
Springfield NJ DUI Lawyers
As previously stated, you cannot escape a conviction and the mandatory penalties for DUI unless your attorney can convince the judge and prosecutor that there is a fatal flaw in the state’s case. This is the main reason why it is so important to hire a lawyer with extensive training and experience in DWI defense. The attorneys at The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall have the skills to insure that you have every opportunity to identify, create and/or present issues to allow for a dismissal or downgrade. Our philosophy is to strive for the very best outcome on behalf of our clients. Call us at 908-272-1700 to discuss, free of charge, how we can assist you in winning your Springfield DWI case.