Serving the Elizabeth NJ Superior Court & All Municipal Courts in Union County

Union County NJ Criminal Defense Lawyers

Over 200 Years Combined Experience

Former County & Municipal Prosecutors

Garwood NJ Traffic Ticket Lawyer

Motor Vehicle Summons in Garwood New Jersey

If you received a traffic ticket or motor vehicle summons in Garwood New Jersey, you should definitely take the time to speak to a lawyer before simply pleading guilty. Moving traffic violations such as speeding, reckless driving, leaving the scene of an accident, driving while suspended and driving without insurance, have potential consequences that can negatively impact your life. For example, motor vehicle points are assigned to all moving offenses and can result in costly annual surcharges. Some of the charges also trigger mandatory suspension of your license by the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission. Given these ramifications, it is always advisable to take advantage of a free consultation with an accomplished traffic attorney. The lawyers at our firm, the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, are former municipal prosecutors who have defended thousands of traffic tickets, including many in Garwood Municipal Court. Contact us at 908-272-1700 to speak to one of our attorneys immediately.

Garwood NJ Traffic Offense

Court decisions in New Jersey have upheld the premise that it is a privilege to drive, and the state has the right to set standards and revoke or suspend your driver’s license if traffic laws aren’t obeyed. Many traffic convictions result in points on your driver’s license. Violations that do not result in points on your license include driving with a broken headlight, equipment violations, and parking tickets.

The following are moving violations and the points associated with them. The New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission keeps track of these points on your driver’s license. Each of the following is included under Title 39 of the New Jersey Criminal Code:

These aren’t all of the points that could be added to your driver’s license as a result of a traffic conviction. Points can be assessed for repeat violations, for instance. An out-of-state conviction on a moving violation results in 2 points assigned to your New Jersey driver’s license.

If six points or more are assessed on your driver’s license within a three-year period, you must pay a $150 surcharge. For each point in excess of six, an additional charge of $25 must be paid. Some violations automatically trigger an annual surcharge that must be paid for three consecutive years; an example is $100 due for three years for driving without a valid license.

There are also other significant consequences that can result from a traffic offense with suspension of your driving privileges near the top. For example, there is a two year license suspension for possession of cds in a motor vehicle, one year for a first offense driving without insurance, two years for a second offense of driving without insurance, and up to six months for a first offense driving while suspended. Beyond having your license suspended upon conviction, there are some charges that land you in the Union County Jail. A third or subsequent conviction for driving while suspended results in 10 days in jail, there is 14 days for a second offense of driving without insurance and there is 180 days for a third offense of DWI. With consequences as significant as these, hiring a savvy Garwood traffic lawyer is imperative to protecting your interests.

Garwood Traffic Offense Defense Attorney

The only way to avoid the negative consequences of a traffic ticket/summons involving a moving violation is to fight it in Garwood Municipal Court. Every defense attorney in the Marshall Law Office has the skill and experience to provide the outcome you need in your Garwood motor vehicle case.  Our lawyers understand what is required to help you avoid a traffic conviction so that your insurance and driver’s license remain in good standing. For immediate assistance from a lawyer skilled in defending traffic and motor vehicle charges, call us at 908-272-1700. Attorneys are available 24/7 to provide the assistance you need.