Summit NJ Aggravated Assault Lawyer
Aggravated Assault Charge in Summit New Jersey
Have you been charged with aggravated assault in Summit New Jersey? If so, it is essential that you contact an experienced defense lawyer without delay. An aggravated assault conviction could have a devastating effect on your life. Now and in the future, a criminal record involving a violent crime can disrupt your family, your career, and your reputation. At the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, our lawyers can provide skilled legal representation, whether you have been falsely accused of criminal activity or took action based on an error in judgment.
The attorney you choose for your Summit aggravated assault case is an important decision. Our attorneys are skilled former prosecutors with over a century of combined experience defending individuals arrested for assault offenses in Union County, including those arising in the City of Summit. To speak with a knowledgeable aggravated assault lawyer, contact us at 908-272-1700. Your initial consultation is free and confidential.
Aggravated Assault Offense in Summit NJ
The New Jersey Criminal Code provides the definition of aggravated assault at N.J.S.A. 2C:12-1b. Under this law, a person commits the crime of aggravated assault under the following circumstances and more:
- Attempts to cause serious bodily injury to another person or causes such injury knowingly or purposely or under circumstances that manifest extreme indifference to the value of human life, recklessly causing such injury; or
- Attempts to cause or knowingly or purposely causes bodily injury to another person using a deadly weapon; or
- Recklessly causes bodily injury to another person using a deadly weapon; or
- Knowingly, under circumstances that manifest extreme indifference to the value of human life, points a firearm at or in the direction of another person, whether or not the actor believes the firearm to be loaded.
The definition of aggravated assault goes on to say that simple assault cases become more serious aggravated assault charges when the actions are committed upon certain individuals. The following are two examples of 11 found in the law:
- Any law enforcement officer who exhibiting evidence of his authority or is acting in the performance of his duties while in uniform or because of his status as a law enforcement officer;
- Any paid or volunteer fireman engaged in the performance of his duties while in uniform or in some way clearly identifiable as acting in the performance of the duties of a fireman.
Penalties for a Summit NJ Aggravated Assault
An aggravated assault charge may be a 2nd degree offense, a 3rd degree offense, or a 4th degree offense. The following are some of the factors which determine which level of offense an act of aggravated assault may be in a Union County Superior Court:
- If the victim suffered bodily injury plus the severity of the injury
- The location where the incident occurred
- The unique circumstances of the crime
- If the person assaulted was underage or on school property
- If the accused has previous convictions or if additional charges are pending
The penalties for aggravated assault convictions typically include the following: Jail time; fines and court fees; can no longer possess or own a weapon or firearm; required classes for dealing with anger; probation; and victim compensation.
A second degree crime for aggravated assault is the most serious variety of 2C:12-1b offense. A fourth degree crime is the least extreme in terms of penalties. The greatest number of aggravated assaults fall in the middle as a third degree crime. You face the following penalties for each:
|Grade of Offense||Maximum Fine||Maximum Imprisonment|
|Second Degree Crime||$150,000||5-10 Years in Prison|
|Third Degree Crime||$15,000||3-5 Years in Prison|
|Fourth Degree Crime||$10,000||Up to 18 Months|
Summit Aggravated Assault Attorney
Being charged with aggravated assault is a serious situation, and the best course of action is to hire an accomplished attorney who can guard your interests. At the Marshall Law Firm, our attorneys have successfully handled many aggravated assault cases. It is certainly in your best interests to take advantage of a free consultation with an experienced lawyer like those on our staff. Call our office 24/7 at 908-272-1700 for immediate help from one of our lawyers.