Cranford Municipal Court
Marijuana Possession, Harassment, Simple Assault & Other Charges in Cranford New Jersey
Cranford is one of the busiest municipalities in Union County for criminal and traffic charges. The presence of the Garden State Parkway (i.e. milepost 137.59 to 138.74) and New Jersey Route 28, a busy downtown business district, and its proximity to major cities like Linden and Elizabeth, make Cranford a prime source of offenses. There are certainly some tickets and complaints that are filed more frequently in this township than others including:
- Possession of 50 Grams or Less of Marijuana
- Criminal Mischief
- Simple Assault
- Disorderly Conduct
- Driving While Suspended
- Possession of CDS in a Motor Vehicle
- Driving Without Insurance
Our lawyers have been defending individuals charged in Cranford with just about every criminal and motor vehicle offense set forth by law. More importantly, our defense attorneys have a long track history of success that spans over a century between the eight members of our team. To speak to an attorney at The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, including one of our several former prosecutors about the charge you are facing, contact our Union NJ Office at 908-272-1700. Initial consultations are free of charge so do not hesitate to give us a call.
Cranford Municipal Court
Address: 8 Springfield Ave., Cranford, NJ 07016
Telephone Number: 908-709-7242
Administrator: Lorraine Powell
Prosecutor: Robert P. Donovan, Esq.
Court Sessions: Wednesday at 5:30 PM
The Cranford Municipal Court has jurisdiction to decide motor vehicle violations, disorderly persons offenses and ordinance infractions issued within the 4.86 square miles of the township. This includes tickets and summonses issued by not only members of the Cranford Police Department but also those issued by the New Jersey State Police in the area of Exits 136 & 137. Indictable offenses that involve a crime of the first, second, third or fourth degree fall outside local authority and must be forwarded to the Union County Superior Court, Elizabeth, NJ, for resolution. Common felony charges of this nature include cocaine possession, burglary, aggravated assault, eluding and identity theft.
Frequently Asked Questions: Criminal or Serious Motor Vehicle Charge In Cranford NJ
The following are some of the more frequently asked questions by individuals facing criminal or traffic offenses in Cranford:
- Do I Need An Attorney? Unless you are a juvenile, NJ Law allows you to represent yourself. There is no question in our mind, however, that an experienced lawyer can help you achieve a much better result.
- Will Anything Happen On My First Court Date? Typically, the first appearance is just to conduct an arraignment. This is the proceeding where you have the opportunity to enter your plea and, unless you are going to enter a plea of guilty, there is nothing else that will happen at this appearance. You will have the opportunity to prepare your defense prior to the next court date.
- What Happens If The Charge Is A First, Second, Third or Fourth Degree Crime (i.e. Indictable)? There is no jurisdiction for Cranford Municipal Court to do anything to resolve a felony offense other than conducting the arraignment. In most cases, this proceeding will not even happen in municipal court, especially in Union County, and the charges will be referred directly to Central Judicial Processing at the Superior Court in Elizabeth NJ.
- Can I Go To Jail If I Am Convicted Of A Charge In Cranford? In most cases, there is a possibility of jail or prison. The maximum period of incarceration is six (6) months for a disorderly persons offense, eighteen (18) months for a fourth degree, five (5) years for a third degree, ten (10) years for a second degree and twenty (20) years for a first degree crime.
- Will I Have Points On My License If Convicted? All moving traffic violations trigger points on your license. In addition, more serious violations like reckless driving, driving while suspended, driving without insurance, DWI and leaving the scene of an accident, can result in significant periods of license suspension, fines, surcharges and even up to six (6) months in the county jail.
Cranford NJ Criminal Attorney
An attorney at The Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall can assist you with more detailed questions concerning an arrest or summons in Cranford. Our experience is extensive in criminal defense and in the Union County court system with over 100 years in practice combined. Contact our lawyers anytime around the clock for a free consultation at 908-272-1700. We have the tenacity and knowledge to meet this challenge. A Cranford NJ Criminal Attorney is available to assist you immediately without obligation.
Additional Cranford Criminal & Traffic Resources To Assist You